Swim Lessons

Yesterday M started swim lessons. He is not particularly fond of getting his head or face wet, but he did a super job practicing his kicks and walking along the wall. Later in the afternoon, we met Nana, Aunt Mimi, and the cousins at the pool and played for over an hour, jumping into the water and running through the sprinklers. Last night it was quiet in my house by 7:30 p.m. This morning nobody stirred until about 7:45 a.m. I heard B calling, "Mommy! Mommy!" I rolled out of bed to get him before he woke up M, and then proceeded to feed him breakfast, play with him, and drink a whole cup of coffee before I went in to see if M was still breathing. At 8:30, I tiptoed in, noticed his eyes were opened, but saw him slam them shut and pretend to be asleep (a first of many, I'm sure.) I let him "sleep" a few more minutes, and then went in again only to be greeted with the same scenerio. I asked if he wanted to get up and have breakfast for which he replied, "No, I'm still sleepy." Please remember, this is new to me. For the last four and a half years, I've never seen 8:00 a.m. without a diaper change or a breakfast plea. I said, "Buddy, today you have swim lessons again." His eyes got big, and he replied, "Wow." I couldn't help but think of the Kevin Henkes book, Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse, where the signature phrase is--"'Wow.' All he could say was, 'Wow.'" I looked at my sweet boy's face and realized that for once in his life he was actually worn out.

He stumbled out of bed by 8:45 a.m. and gobbled a whole bowl of yogurt.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tell Max his PawPaw Wood would be so proud of him. He couldn't swim.

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan