A Season of Grief

A year ago we were hopeful that God would answer our prayers exactly the way we wanted. Or should I say, I was hopeful He would do what I say. How humbling to be reminded who is God! So it got rough, and Brian didn't get better. And now I must go through my first autumn without him. Eight years ago, Brian and I began dating in September, fell in love in October, and made plans for our future together in November. And last year I held his hand as he sat in a hospital bed in September, pushed his wheelchair and drove him to chemo in October, and said good-bye as he went to glory in November.

Please pray for me this season. And encourage me and remember me as I trudge through a time that will bring inexplicable sorrow. Pray for Brian's family--his parents, his brothers--as they continue in their journey of grief. Pray for my children, as they continue to accept and make sense of their reality. Max tells me daily that he misses his Daddy. And sometimes he's mad and sometimes he's sad and well, sometimes, he likes to use that to get out of going to bed. And I know of so many others who face this beautiful change of seasons with sorrow as they have lost or have hurt beyond explanation.

Life is so short and yet I often feel it seems like an eternity. And though pain can often be suffocating, it gives us a taste of our Savior's pain. And to have that taste is to have an inexplicable love that will truly last an eternity.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As we grieve, we always pray for you, Susan, and our grandsons. The sorrow is undescibable and we know God knows that, too. He will hold you up and help Max and Briggs as they grow older. We are thankful Brian had you to be with even though it was a short time.
Anonymous said…
Susan, you have come so far and been such a rock to your family. Hold Brian's love close to you in this season and know that God is holding all of you.
Anonymous said…
Susan, thank you for sharing your life with us. We will definitely continue to pray for you and the boys. What a wonderful example you are to all of us. The boys are so blessed to have you as their mother. Leslea Purvis

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan