Hair today...

So the IV nurse showed up about 7:00 pm, so I've been on chemo for about an hour and a half.

My hair hasn't started falling out yet.

It's still luxurious.

Male pattern baldness doesn't run in my family--luxurious hair does. So I'll be the second bald guy in our family--my brother Allen shaved his head once in college. He looked pretty good, but at the time he weighed about 60 pounds more than I do now.

I remember when I had long hair in college and cut it before graduation. I got a little weepy. Back then I NEVER cried, so it was a big deal. But for the last ten years or so, I've been a little more in touch with my emotional, sensitive side, and I tear up in church, or at a good story, or when my 3-year-old goes poop on the potty. I haven't cried at a Hallmark commercial yet, or at least I'm not going to admit it. Some of those Volkswagen commercials, though--you've gotta admit they're poignant.

All the Men's Men writers I've read, though, say it's good to be a warrior, but it's also good to cry. John Eldrege, Stu Weber, King David, etc. I was visiting a class of Robert Bly's once with my friend Aaron--Bly is a poet and the author of Iron John among many other things, and he wears a cowboy hat--and he wept openly in front of us. Jane Kenyon, another poet and a good friend, had just died. Bly later told us that he wished we had gotten up and hugged him.

Bly likes to say that the road between a woman's mind and heart is a superhighway, but for a man it's like a windy country road.

All this to say, I think it will be okay and not unmanly if I get a little moist-eyed over my hair loss.

Which should happen in about a week, by the way. The nurse said it will happen in 7-14 days, depending on how fast my hair grows. And my hair grows faster than the federal deficit. Luxurious, remember.

I'm not bragging about the luxuriousness, by the way. It's simply a matter of genetics. Besides, it's going to be gone in a week, so it would be silly to brag.

So the minute it starts falling out, We'll shave it. No need to stretch out the pain.

And I won't be so, so out of place. I've noticed these days more than just frat pledges are shaving their heads. My friend Dale showed up today with a shaved head, and I can think of other friends and aquaintances--Eric, Ben, Joe, Knerr, Micheal Jordan, Seal, Chris from church. Of course, I'll look more like Micheal Stipe than Micheal Jordan, but that's not the point.

The point is, the hair's gotta go, and I can't do a thing about it. So I'll find a couple of good hats for the winter, and resist the temptation to get a scalp tattoo.

For now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Brian and Susan,

Prayers coming your way from Nashville.

Love, Uncle David and Aunt Beth.
Anonymous said…
Your hair will be missed, it's true - it is quite spectacularly luxurious. But you will always be Smooth Moves Maynor to me, no matter what is, or isn't, on your head.

And DUDE, a scalp tattoo would be so cool! As cool as, say, Boy George!

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan