And here's the cancer update, with only one small mention of the potty

Okay, so I start the next phase of treatment on Tuesday. This week I've gone through screening, which basically means having my blood taken a few times and being quizzed on my aches, pains, and number of visits to the potty I make per day.

Tuesday I'll go in at noonish and have my blood taken again, then get a shot of Benadryl, then half an hour later, start an infusion of Rapamycin (Rapamycin has been manufactured in several forms--this particular form is known as CCI-779). It's an mTOR inhibitor. mTOR stands for "mammalian target of Rapamycin," which seems redundant, but what the hey. It has something to do with cell growth and reproduction, and some kinases and proteins and whatnot. It confuses me, and I'm a medical editor.

Anyway, the infusion of CCI-779 takes about an hour, and then I'm done for the week (except for a quick blood draw on Wednesday). CCI-779 is a clinical trial drug, so we're not sure just what it will do, but if we don't have success, I can go a more traditional route at any time. We'll do a CT scan in 8 weeks and see what the tumor(s) look like, and make a decision then.

In patients that have tried it so far, side effects for Rapamycin have been milder than those associated with most chemotherapy drugs. I may get sick, feel fatigued or depressed, develop a few rashes, and so forth, but not to the extent that I might have otherwise. And I probably won't lose my hair.

One of my most persistent issues right now is weight loss, though, so if you pray, please pray that I put on some poundage. I was hoping to gain some weight back between treatment regimens, but it ain't happening so far, even with a decent appetite. I've stayed about the same, but I could use an upswing.

It's been nice not to have been poked and prodded and radiated for four weeks, but it's also nice to get back to the frontlines of this battle. Into the breach! Where's King Harry?*


*Shakespeare reference for my actress sister-in-law**

(ammended)
**Because in Henry V, Harry prays to God and then gives the rousing St. Crispin's Day speech before going into the Battle of Agincourt, where the odds are 5-1 against his small ragtag bunch.***


(ammended)
***They win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan