Pumpkin Chocolate Chip

I thought that might get your attention.  I love to bake.  I sometimes follow a recipe but more often than not, I improvise--mostly because a. I don't necessarily have all ingredients on hand or b. I need to raise the nutritional content or c. I'm not a rule follower.  


And then there is my love affair with spelt flour. 


I love spelt.  It can be substituted 1:1 for wheat flour, but it is nuttier, sweeter and higher in protein.  It is also easier on the digestive system. 
My new base recipe for pumpkin and banana bread.
  • 1.5 cups spelt flour
  • .5 cup coconut flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup sugar--I use the "healthy" kind--evaporated cane juice.  But really it's just sugar. 
  • 1/2 tsp maca powder (Optional.  You can add more if you like, but be careful, this stuff is STRONG)
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/2 cup  (or a dribble more) of buttermilk
  • 1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce--I usually just put my apples in a blender and use that.
  • 1/8 cup coconut oil (but could use canola, safflower)
  • 1 tsp vanilla (or other extracts and liquors based on taste--I tend to add more than a tsp--more like a large splash.)
For the pumpkin and banana, I use about 1.5 cups.

In terms of spices, it depends on what you like--using pumpkin, I add cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice.  For the banana, I will add cinnamon and maybe allspice.)

Oh, and I always add chocolate chips.  Semi-sweet for banana and white for pumpkin.  If you don't add chocolate chips, increase your sugar to 3/4 cup.
  • 350 degrees.
  • Grease with coconut oil--either muffin pan or bread pan.
  • Bake -- hard to say how long but roughly 25 minutes for muffins and 45 for bread.  Use a knife to test.  Just make sure not much sticky comes out  
  • Remove, cool a bit, and enjoy.
I discovered a new favorite online retailer:  nutsonline.com.  Figs, chocolate, baking goods, nuts, coffee, coconut oil, and so much more. Great prices, ships fast, and cool bags that ziploc.  


I would post a picture but the loaf I made yesterday is already gone.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can't wait to try this, Susan.

I tried to go to the website and I think it needs to be .com rather than .org

It looks like a great site. Thanks!

Bekah
amy said…
Yeah! A recipe... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan