Redemption Reigns

Yes, I think so. If it didn't, I might want to crawl under the covers and go back to sleep for say, the next forty years of my life. 


The Easter season holds powerful lessons for me.  Many, many moons ago, my father entered the gates of heaven, unexpectedly in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. It was about three weeks before Easter.  Nine years ago, Max, my creative, funny, and often poetic first born joined us in this earthly life. It was about two weeks before Easter.  Seven years ago (three weeks early), Briggs, my strong and so lovable youngest son was born, and it was about a week before Easter. 


And then six years ago, my sweet first husband--Brian--was diagnosed with terminal cancer in the rainy days of March. It was about three weeks before Easter. 


This time of year.  It is often a tornado of emotions and feelings and joys and sorrows and blessings.  And promises. And I don't mean I-promise-to-buy-you-an-ice-cream-if-you-clean-your-room kind of promise. More like...say...the promise of eternity.  


I often imagine Jesus in the Garden, on his knees, boldly asking His father if there was another way. 


     ...The fragility of His humanity.


"An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him."


     ....The gift of His sacrifice.


 “Father, if you are willing, 
take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 

And then the day He hung on the cross for me, after being flogged and beaten and mocked. 

     ...The magnitude of His love.

"When he had received the drink, Jesus said, 'It is finished.'
 With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."

And then He did it.  He kept His promise.

     ....The richness of His splendor. 

"Jesus said to her, 'Mary.'
She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, 'Rabboni!'"

Because of Easter, redemption reigns. It lives in the fabric of humanity, in the corners of history, and in the story unfolding to eternity.  

Comments

christan perona said…
I love this.
Pete Scribner said…
Beautiful words about the most beautiful of truths. Thank you, Susan.
Holly Naunheim said…
Susan, I doubt I have read in so many years a more grateful account of The Crucifixion of our Lord. You get it! I wish we were more friends than aquaintances. I think you are "back pocket people" ....means, one good to carry about in your pocket when life gets you down, get the back pocket people out, listen, and love. Thank you, I hope this finds you well. You DO remind me of Becca . I miss her too.

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan