Grace in Hidden Places

I'm all about finding grace in every moment of my life. A monumental endeavor for a task-oriented, approval-addicted person such as me. That's why I decided to make it priority. And I just finished _Grace Eventually_ by Anne Lamott and _Sin Boldly: A Field Guide to Grace_ by Cathleen Falsani, two extraordinary reads by two extraordinary women.

It took me 27 years to finally grasp any sort of understanding of grace. I distinctly recall driving home in LA traffic - down Veteran Avenue in Century City, when I began weeping. I mean pull-over-to-the-side-of-the-road weeping. Only one other moment like that have I had and that was about cancer and Brian and dying and saying good-bye. Uncontrollable crying. Headache-will-soon-follow crying. Freedom crying. Full of Grace crying. In that beautiful moment did I understand that there was absolutely nothing that would change my standing with Christ, stop trying to do and just begin to be. Of course, that moment so etched in my simple mind has long since been clouded with many moments of doing, but it's still my moment, my glorious gift of revelation from the God who created the universe.

So back to my daily grace. Here's what I've discovered:

1. My house is filled with laughter and voices and inquiry and discovery.
2. God's provision is perfect - never too much, never too little.
3. Grace is an "invitation to be beautiful" in my widowhood - to be loved deeply and passionately by the one who is Love.
4. People are truly broken beauties - glorious image bearers of the Almighty.
5. Little boys are SOOO fun.
6. Just when you think it can never be fixed, it comes together.

The list continues...daily...as I choose to see the glorious grace of the day because really that's all I get - just enough for the day, even just for the moment, and I may miss it. Ahh, hearing music come from M and B's room as they fall into dreamland, knowing they are safe and beautiful. Just for this moment. What a gift.

Comments

Melanie said…
This is very beautiful. Love that line about "Grace is an invitation to be beautiful." Love that album. Thanks for telling how God is working.
Anonymous said…
I loved reading this post and was so moved/encouraged by it. you express so well what I have thought many times. I'm so glad I found your blog. :)
Anonymous said…
Thank you for those wonderful reminders and for your example.
Amanda M.
The Wagners said…
I have read this multiple times and meant to leave a comment. Awesome post Susan. It is beautiful the strength you have in Jesus. Keep enjoying the wonders of God's Grace.

CSW

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan