Little Conversations

I think I'm just beginning to breathe again. Another start of the school year.  August?  Gone with the wind. September? Washed out to sea. October?  Thank God you are here, but don't run away too fast!! I just pulled out my pumpkin candle yesterday.  I need a little time to enjoy it before we are singing Christmas carols and sipping hot chocolate.

So much has happened in the last two months.  I'll reflect and write about it later.  But before I forget, there are a couple little conversations with the boys that deserve some screen time.

M:  Mom, what color is an omelette?
Me:  Well, it's typically white on the outside, or maybe a light yellow.
M:  No, the kind of omelette you wear around your neck.
Me:  Do you mean an amulet?
M:  Oh, that's it.

B: Mom, why is it bad to point your middle finger at someone?
Me: Well, it's a gesture that says to someone that they are stupid or that you hate them. (The best analogy for a 7 year old.)
B:  But what's a gesture?
Me:  Well, waving hello to someone or giving a thumbs up---you don't actually say words, you communicate with your hands.
B: So, why is the middle finger bad?  I mean, why the middle finger?  Why not your pinky or your thumb?

As we are sitting down at Fitz's in the Loop, looking at menus:
M:  Mommy, I think I'm too old to choose from the kid's menu.  What do you know about the Caesar Wrap?
Me:  It's like a Caesar Salad inside a wrap, like the one you got at Crazy Bowls not too long ago.
M: No, I'm not in the mood for that.
Me:  What about the BLAST wrap? It has turkey and bacon.
M: (Reading the description to himself) That sounds good, but what about chili mayo?  (A slight grimace.)
Me:  You could substitute for regular mayo?
M: Oh, that sounds great.  I'll have that.

And he proceeded to close his menu and begin coloring on his kid's menu. And when the dinner showed up with a rather large side of mayo, his brother asked:


B:  Do you want ketchup for your fries, Max?
M:  No, I'm good with the mayo.

A step back in time. Just like his father, Brian.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan