Make a List

There are days when I have overwhelming moments of sadness. Sometimes it's for my children, other times it is for the progressive brokenness of our world, and then there are those times when my sadness is for me. One of the things I've learned to do in those moments is to make a list of some of my favorite earthly things. Now, I write "earthly things" not as an invitation to look away from God but rather to see the blessings in the earthly experiences that feel heavenly, at least to me.

Watching my children play harmoniously together
Hearing Max say, "I love you, Briggs."
Hearing Briggs say, "I love you, Max."
A rich cup of coffee
A picnic at the park without bugs, humidity, or allergies
A day (or week) at the beach with friends
The aroma of Thanksgiving delicacies
Lavendar in all shapes and forms
Watching Max accomplish something (i.e. riding his bike)
Watching Briggs accomplish something (i.e. hitting the whiffle ball)
A trip to Trader Joe's
The mountains
The ocean
Memories of Brian
Memories of my dad
Conversations about extraordinary things
Dinner out with girlfriends
Laughter, when it comes from deep within
An answer to prayer
Moments of divine peace
Reading books with my boys

And there are many more.

Comments

The Wagners said…
I love this post. As I was reading it, Alex was singing "Jesus Loves Me" in his room. Moments like that would make my list.

Popular posts from this blog

Once Upon a November

Add to the Beauty

The McMaynor Summer of Reading Plan